Curb appeal. It is sought after by many homeowners whether they are trying to sell their homes, they want to impress the neighbors, or they simply like coming home to an attractive house. There are many ways that you can improve your home’s exterior, but what are the best? This is the subject of an article posted byHomeAdvisor entitled 6 Essentials to Maximize Curb Appeal.
It lists six ways that you can significantly improve your home’s exterior, and provides some detailed information about each. Included are:
- Install new siding: The best type of siding to choose is dependent on factors such as your home’s architecture, how much maintenance you are willing to do, the climate where you live, and your budget. You can choose from a variety of siding types including, vinyl, wood, stucco, aluminum, and fiber cement.
- Replace your old roof: A new roof can do more than just add to your home’s curb appeal; it can protect your home from water damage and save you money on heating and cooling costs. You can choose from among a variety of roofing materials including asphalt, metal, wood shakes, slate, and tile.
- Paint the exterior: While many siding options are available in a variety of colors, if your home’s exterior is in relatively good shape, it may be easier and less expensive to simply paint it. The authors of the article recommend that when selecting paint colors you stay true to the traditional color scheme of your house, use online software to get an idea of how your color choices will look, stick with muted rather than bright colors, and choose colors that fit in well with your neighborhood.
- Install new windows: Getting new windows has a number of advantages, both for the interior and exterior of your home. Fresh new windows add to curb appeal but they also allow for better quality natural light within your home and can lower heating and cooling costs. The article recommends considering: tubular skylights, passive solar heating systems, window glazing, and low emissivity coating.
- Get a new front door: Your front door makes the first impression on guests and a good one can greatly improve your home’s exterior. Before selecting a new door, the authors recommend that you browse home magazines and websites, look at other doors in your area, visit architectural salvage warehouses and yards for inspiration, and seek the advice of a professional.
- Landscape: It really doesn’t matter how good your house looks if it is surrounded by an unappealing, run-down yard. Paying for the services of a professional landscape company may be to your benefit.
Learn more by reading the full article here.
If you are planning to do some work on your Chicagoland home, contact Baltic Home Improvements for a free consultation. Our staff of experts has been providing roofing, siding and window installation work for residents of thesouthwestern Chicago suburbs for more than 10 years, and we welcome the opportunity to add you to our long list of satisfied customers. Contact us today to learn more.
Image Source: Allan Furguson