During spring and summer when the sun is shining brightly, many homeowners start to think about capturing more of that natural light by adding a skylight to their home. But, are the benefits of a skylight worth the cost? Keep reading. We’ll break down the pros and cons to help you decide if a skylight is worth the investment.
- Natural Light: Brightening up a room naturally is the biggest advantage of adding a skylight to your home. Particularly during the winter months, natural sunlight can really help brighten up the room.
- Boost Your Mood: A well-lit interior can help boost the mood of people who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- Natural Heat: Skylights that have a high solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) offer a great way to warm your room naturally using solar heat.
- Resale Value: For eco-conscious homebuyers, a skylight can help increase the resale value of your home.
- Too Much Light: Installing a skylight that is too large for the room or not strategically positioned could result in a room that’s too bright.
- Too Much Heat: Without the right specs, a skylight could make a room uncomfortably warm during the summer.
- Potential for Leaks: Anytime you penetrate your roof, there is a risk of moisture problems resulting from leaks. You can help prevent leaks by installing high-quality skylights with insulated glass.
While skylights definitely have their benefits, they are not without drawbacks that you should carefully weigh before installing them. In the article The Pros and Cons of Skylights, GreenBuilding Advisors offers this helpful summary of the best scenarios for installing skylights:
- Install them in climates that don’t get too hot in summer.
- Install them on the north-facing roofs.
- Install them where they’ll get shaded in summer if overheating is an issue.
- Get skylights with the best specifications you can find. That means double- or triple-pane with U-factors and solar heat gain coefficients well below what the code requires.
- Use the best water management materials and methods you can to reduce the risk of water leaks at the roof.
If you are considering having a installed in your Chicagoland home, be sure to contact the experts at Baltic Home Improvements for a free consultation. We can discuss your options with you, including skylights that offer both UVA and UVB protection, and we can provide you with an estimate for your installation job.
Contact us today to learn why so many homeowner in the southwestern Chicago suburbs refer us to their friends and neighbors for exterior home improvement jobs.