A dark room can unintentionally set a somber tone throughout your home and put a damper on your mood. So, how do you bring new life to the dim areas of your house? According to Bob Vila, there are 10 classic things you can do to brighten things up.
We have featured five things from the article below, but you can check out all 10 ideas here.
- Go Light on the Window Treatments: Stay away from heavy drapes that keep natural light from entering the room.
- Swap a Solid Door for a Glass One: Solid doors can make a dark room feel even more cavernous. Replace it with a glass door that lets light in.
- Lighten the Paint & Other Accessories: Dark paint, furniture and fixtures can make a room feel heavier. If new furniture isn’t in the budget, lighten the walls with a fresh coat of paint.
- Only Use Dark Color as Accents: You don’t have to avoid dark colors altogether, but reserve them for accents.
- Diffuse Lighting: Position your lamps and other lighting so they reflect off the walls and ceiling and amplify the light in the room.
Installing a skylight is also an excellent way to add natural light to a dark space. If you are considering having a skylight installed in your Chicagoland home, be sure to contact the experts at Baltic Home Improvements for a free consultation. We can discuss your options with you, including skylights that offer both UVA and UVB protection, and we can provide you with an estimate for your installation job.
Contact us today to learn why so many homeowner in the southwestern Chicago suburbs refer us to their friends and neighbors for exterior home improvement jobs.
Image Source: Iriana Shiyan